2803 Troy Road
Springfield Ohio 45504
Out back was found a thickly large slab of concrete.
Using a tractor, the slab of concrete was pulled up and shuffled-off somewhere.
Under the concrete slab was found a hole.
Digging a bit deeper was found two inlets.
I do not know where the water is coming from.
At times, the water is almost level with the topsoil which is a few feet higher than the well walls, and hinders reconstruction.
Using a solar panel and 12v pump to get to the bottom of it, water was coming in almost as fast as it was being pumped out.
Photo shows original remaining foundation to the well as excavation is commenced.
The area around the well is cleared to allow for a backfill of masonry debris and mortar to end up becoming a place to put your feet.
By July 10, 2019 I commenced the reconstruction.
Finally there's been enough materials to at least start the newly-found well in the back yard.
The neighbor refers to this as a "dry well"
I actually will have to look up the definition of a dry well later when I find time, all I know is it's never dry.
If it looks rough, it's because it's the "rough" work that will never be seen.
There is another outside wall that is planned to become a somewhat massive wall ornate in rock and stone when complete.
The photos show the foot deck layed in stone, along with the "unseen" foundation wall carried up from the original well's foundation. The section of wall that is seen in the photo is later completely covered in stone (making it twice as thick when complete).
The wall is already about 5 inches thick!
It's okay if you don't see the hand and the little bird it caught.
Seen are a couple of photos of the water-line replacement.
Yes, I know the pipe is only an inch or so wide. blame the Japanese!
(*I don't know what them people are feeding those Kubotas)
Also commenced are two drainage catches in the baby orchard.
Initially It was attempted to use the 3-point hitch attachment called a "middle-buster"
Due to the lack of ambition to remove the under-the-belly mower, depth was lacking as the mower hit the ground before the middle-buster did.
It was decided to use the tractor's bucket to dig out the trenches
Since there was already some drainage pipe laying around, in the holes they would end up. R.i.p.
At the lower end of the property would be excavated to create pits to catch the water that drains from the orchard area.
Filled with masonry scraps and then backfilled with a rough grading. In a couple of days the soil will become looser and easier to manage enabling the fine grading.
I'll stop back to add more to this later, probably after a pallet of mortar shows up. First I have to locate the hidden treasure that will pay for that pallet of mortar.
(*oh wait, I see a spot over yonder, I gotta go do some digging brb)
2014-2022 Kenny Hendrick and the Public Diary (of sorts). All Rights Reserved. Visit a I-Love-America MomentSiteMap